As far as quality, the drugstore can be a mixed bag.
These days, most beauty products rely on ingredients that consist of chemicals or other synthetic elements. These can be harsh on your hair and scalp, not to mention hurt your health and the environment.
For instance, did you know that common beauty ingredients, like parabens, have been linked to cancer? (Propylparaben, methylparaben, or butylparaben, according to Eleni N. Gage of Real Simple, are cheap preservatives that stall bacteria growth in beauty products, prolonging their shelf life.)
Most people would rather steer clear of these potentially harmful ingredients rather than take any chances.
So what are alternatives to common, questionable ingredients found in many drugstore shampoos, conditioners, and natural hair growth products?
For the answer, we need to go back to nature and backwards in time. Here are four secrets that ancient cultures knew about beauty and encouraging hair growth.
1. Ancient Cultures Used What Could be Found in Nature
Ancient cultures famous for their beauty secrets, such as the Egyptians, depended on nature alone for their beauty treatments.
For an example, look to famous ancient Egyptian beauty Cleopatra, who regularly bathed in milk and honey and treated her hair and skin with essential oils, like almond oil.
The Egyptians understood how to harness nature’s potent bounties to beautify their hair and skin. Natural hair growth products should do the same thing to be the most effective and to achieve the following goals:
- Stimulate the scalp
- Improve blood circulation
- Promote new hair growth
So what are some ways the ancients would have treated problems like hair loss?
2. They Used the Power of Plants
Plants are good for you to eat, and they are equally as beneficial for your skin, hair, and scalp.
Ancient cultures regularly utilized plant extracts for their own remedies and beauty treatments.
Plant extracts are parts of the plant that are removed, or extracted, for their desirable properties. When added to hair and skin products, they provide a whole host of beneficial results depending on the plant(s) used. For example:
- Chamomile extract has been used throughout the ages to treat skin ailments, which includes everything from burns to wounds. It is also anti-inflammatory and has anti-microbial and antioxidant properties. It is generally a soothing ingredient, used to calm and heal the skin.
- Stinging nettle is another herb extract that is often used in beauty treatments, especially natural hair growth products. The nutrients in the plant help prevent overproduction of the hormone DHT, which can cause hair loss, according to Kristen Richards of NaturallyCurly.com.
3. They Understood the Effectiveness of Essential Oils
For thousands of years, essential oils have been used all over the world by a myriad of different cultures for their potent healing, rejuvenating, and medicinal properties, including ancient cultures from India, China, the Middle East, and Greece.
Essential oils were indeed “essential” to one of the oldest known systems of healing in the world, Ayurvedic medicine. This practice involves bodily application of healing oils as well as inhaling their scent, called aromatherapy.
Like natural plant extracts, essential oils have various anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and antioxidant properties. This means when they’re added to beauty products, they pack a significant punch. Take these oils that are often used as natural remedies for hair loss:
- Rosemary oil is regularly used for natural hair growth, as it increases blood circulation when applied to the scalp, which stimulates the hair to grow.
- Peppermint oil has healing properties that are excellent for the hair. When applied to the scalp, the oil stimulates the hair follicles and encourages oxygen production, which paves the way for hair growth.
- Soothing lavender oil has anti-bacterial properties that will help rid the scalp of dandruff, promoting a balanced scalp that isn’t too dry or too oily – the perfect environment for re-growing hair.
4. The Ancients Relied on the Simple and the Tried-and-True
It’s easy to see that ancient cultures kept it simple when it came to beauty.
They used humble ingredients from nature, and they didn’t over-process them or add harsh ingredients. They let the nutrients and vitamins from the plants nourish their bodies, both inside and out.
These natural remedies were used for thousands of years – the very definition of tried-and-true. After all, why try to change something that already works?
Use Ancient Secrets and Choose the Best Hair Products for Natural Hair Growth
It’s pretty obvious that the ancients were on to something. Today, we can harness this ancient knowledge in modern ways for health and beauty.
For encouraging hair growth, it makes more sense to stick with natural remedies for hair loss. You don’t want to put harsh chemicals on your scalp, and you don’t want to mess around with parabens or other questionable ingredients.
For the best hair products for natural hair growth that are 100% organic and made with no less than seven plant extracts, turn to Ancient Secrets. Our line of hair care, including shampoo, conditioner, treatments, and hair loss products, can help your hair look its healthiest. Channel Cleopatra and try our products today.